Various Monkley IDE IssuesMonkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Various Monkley IDE Issues
| Im have a long time glbasic and starting looking for Monkey to trying to port some of my older blitzmax games, but its seen im have found some major issues, cause me complete stop that idea.|
1. Monkey IDE should never delete DATA and copy it from main DATA folder from the main source. Im thinks this is a very stupid thing to do, and hence lost control what kind of assest files you want to uses for that platform. Some assest im want only used for a kind platform and target, but seen impossible to do that. This is a major issue for me. Im perfer manual copy of assest files (eventuely only do that if folder not exists beforehand).
Im simply want that feature disabled, so its DONT delete the folder, so im have fully control over my assests files for various platforms. Its also can been creppy slow if you have many assest files or you not have edited them in a while. So its simply just stupid its need doing that in each compile time without control.
Here im are aware what to doing, im just dont like this feature.
2. Cannot get Android working, nor IDE sdk telling me what its wrong. Im have tried to put the path to the required SDK (api-18) and JDK (1.7.x) as started in the help file, but nothing happens at all. Its would been nice if TED could show when there is a missing target instead just choice to not show it, etc via a dialog box if something added is wrong.
3. You needs to edit a ini files to add new project to the project tab, which fell very stupid and missing something. This was the only way im could get it to work. If you delete a project from that tab, you can not create a new project path at all, nor im could not do that. This is howover just a minor thing.
4. There is no project control when open a monkey files, unlike glbasic, which you automatic have set a main file. Can been confuction if you have multiple project. This is tiny issue.
5. The first module im property would create is expand the Android Gamecontroller support which is quite bad in Monkey (and was even worse in glbasic). Here im have done a GameController.java with full various gamepad support (PS3, box, gamestick, ouya, madcatz + unknown with remapping, but only if im can send a string back) with 4 player support and more and could quite easiy implement it in Monkey, without breaking compatible (have looked on that).
PS. Im have full version.
Some assest im want only used for a kind platform and target, but seen impossible to do that.It is possible to filter files, but not directories because the compiler will copy every thing that is in the .data directory, so storing assets in sub directories currently is out of the question. Give each asset that is for a specific target a name such as myimag_android.png and use something like
#IF TARGET="android" #IMAGE_FILES="*_android.png|*_android.jpg" Const rctarget:String = "android" #Endif ... img = LoadImage("myimag_" + rctarget + ".png"
Im have tried to put the path to the required SDK (api-18) and JDK (1.7.x)Run the Android SDK manager and install API-13. And make sure that the paths are correct in the monkey config file in the bin directory.
You needs to edit a ini files to add new project to the project tabNo you don't.
Menu bar... Build->Open Project
make a new directory and click open
You will find that a directory is then added to the Projects Browser.
You can the right click this directory in the browser for sub menu. Note: You need to use the full file name for monkey files e.g mysource.monkey
There is no project control when open a monkey files, unlike glbasic, which you automatic have set a main fileTrue, but you can lock an open file to be the first file to be built. If the file is closed then the lock is removed. You have to reset it every time.
| im still want it to NOT delete and recreate it on every compile. Its so stupid and a time waster to do, and even more annoying with many assest files (big projects). So many times do you not change the assest file anyway. So im want that thing disabled, or change it so Monkeyonly copy new assest files and scanning for file size changes and copy eventuely that file. Recopy anything is simply no reason to do that for every compiling (not even in debug mode)! Same with eventuelly icons, which im did have a quite hard dealing with them in glbasic, which took some control as well.|
Also its also odd release and debug releases is in each on direcory rather than rename the exe. Any reasons for that? But again, tiny thing throught and can live with that.
Why not uses a higher api and cheking for that? its seen the next monkey version now uses api-19 as default. Im do still want to to show eventuelly errors, etc wrong api and more, or just possible to set the api you want to uses in the config file.
The only issue im so have seen is there is no way to get a controller name for the controller input, which would been very neat (so you can uses xbox images for a xbox controller example). Property this can been extended. For Android im allready supported that, which supports more than just the ouya controller. Controllers can been quite annoying, so its require remapping for make sure its works with anything.
im still want it to NOT delete and recreate it on every compile.It does not on my machine (maybe I'm doing something different). It just overrides files that have been updated.
| that is what im would want which is most correct way: |
just overrides changed files and copy eventuelly new files, rather to recopy anything.
Monkey compiler should newer delete anything at all. But above seen not happens on the Windows target in update 78.
Sorry if im was sound hash, its was not meant at all.